Snickerdoodles w|caramel + choco chips
The holidays are over but #cheatday is still a thing so you NEED to bake these cookies!
Santa (read: Hubs) requested homemade snickerdoodle cookies around the holidays so of course, I confidently told him I’d bake them...from scratch (obvs)…Have I ever made them before? Nope. Ever baked cookies from scratch before? Nope. Do I even remember what snickerdoodles taste like? Not at all. Ha BUT — I can do all things through Christ (and Google) who strengthen me.
So…I found a basic snickerdoodle recipe and tweaked it some, adding caramel chips, milk chocolate chips, and dark chocolate chips and oh. my. gosh.
Disclaimer: They weren’t gluten free so I couldn’t try them but I made dozens and they were gone in like two days! The fam loved them, our neighbors loved them, and Julian enjoyed them so much, he was ordering up fresh baked snickerdoodles well into the new year and was even eating them for breakfast! :-)
Yep. Cookies for breakfast because #adulting. And also because this recipe is amaziiiiing! So here it is.
1 large egg
3/4 cup unsalted butter
3/4 cup & 1/3 cup granulated sugar — keep the two separate
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup Ghirardelli chocolate chips
1/3 cup Ghirardelli caramel chips
1/3 cup Ghirardelli dark chocolate chips
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. If you don’t have parchment paper (I didn't) you can use aluminum foil — **Also, Pls note!!! If you have a convection oven, USE it!!! The first batch I made was in the conventional oven and the cookies got a little um..how you say….extra brown on the bottom? — I refuse to say they were burned (even though my mama said they were haha)…So batch #2, 3,4, 5, and 6 went in the convection oven and let me tell you!!!!! They were perfectly golden from top to bottom and through and through. Just beautiful. That said, if you are using a convection over, set your oven at about 325 degrees instead of 350 degrees.
2. Mix butter and 3/4 cup sugar with a hand mixer or a stand mixer. Once the mixture is creamy, add in the vanilla extract, egg, the cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt. Then mix in the flour until the mixture is more like dough.
3. Pour in the caramel chips, milk chocolate chips, and dark chocolate chips and stir with a spoon or silicone spatula
4. Here’s where the remaining 1/3 cup sugar comes in! Pour it in to a separate bowl, add the cinnamon and stir.
5. Next, scoop 1 tablespoon of cookie dough, roll it in the cinnamon sugar, then place it on the prepped cookie sheets. (Repeat until you’ve used all your dough)
6. If using a conventional oven, bake for 9-11 minutes. **But if you are using a convection oven cook them for about 15 - 18 minutes (From the feedback I got from hubs, these taste better a little underdone rather than over done).
They'll be a hit! Promise :-)